Sunday, June 9, 2013

Life in Kaliro and beyond

Such a full week, its hard to put words on all of it. There are too many stories to tell them all, but here are a few...

We spent the first half of the week in rural Kaliro. I had been there in 2010 and kind of expected it to be like the rest of my life, always changing. I didn't expect to be remembered. But, not much has changed in this place and many did remember me. It probably helped that my picture with a bunch of girls and tons of kids was hanging on the wall at the CLD bunkhouse. I recognized many faces, though some children were slightly larger. The church that was tiny with mud walls and a grass roof now has a metal roof half done and no walls. Time moves slow and fast at the same time there. No electricity, no running water, no internet... Seems like there is not much to do, yet always things to be done. Just pumping water from the well down the road and carrying it back so it can be used for cooking and washing is a process. One that us muzungu's don't do as gracefully as Ugandan's. Our efforts at carrying water were met by laughs from the villagers. I think one girl actually had a local kid behind her poking her butt trying to get her to go faster. Those jerry cans are heavier than they look. We had no agenda beyond just surviving and hanging out with people and lots and lots of kids that always were hanging around, hungry for attention. Did lots of reading and just hanging out. Someone put it well by saying village life is boring and exhausting at the same time.

The kids in the village are a little different than the kids at our school. The best way to describe them is like a pack of wild animals. Fun, beautiful, crazy... And you might just get mauled if you show up with food or crayons or a drum. Tribal mentality quickly takes over.

Rita is one girl that I remember from last time. She is deaf and sassy! We went to her house across the street shortly after getting to the village. When I arrived there was a guy holding a live turkey upside down by the legs. He tried to get me to hold it to see how heavy it was, but there is nothing in me that wanted to do that. Then Jeremy comments about his first trip to this village when they could hear the mom giving birth to Rita's younger sister next door. They run inside and quickly return with a photo album that may or may not have had a bay watch star on the front and open to a picture with my good friend Aly holding this newborn. So crazy!!! Rita is such an artist. She will draw pictures in the dirt to communicate. She kept drawing pictures of a bicycle. I wasn't sure why until I saw her a few days later returning from school (which is far, at least 2 + miles away so she can learn sign language) on her bicycle. You can tell it is her prize possession. Shiny clean and black and at least 10 sizes too big for her. She rides it remarkable well. Sometimes walking then gets a running start and hops through the middle of the triangle to pedal. Arms high in the air to reach the handle bars. It's pretty incredible and she is so proud and happy to be in school.

So much more, but I need to go so here's the bullet points of the rest of the week.
-Thurs. spent a day at the school/ medical clinic then had a goodbye party for the family that just spent 10 mo here. Kids got ice cream and started a water fight. Happy kids!!!
-Fri. Medical clinic day at thread of life was the first one we have done there and was a huge success.
-Sat. I spent cooking with the ladies at the guest house and taught them how to make marinara and avocado pesto. They were so excited. As was I. I love cooking and medicine. Two stellar days for me.
-Sun. Church for the first time since I've been here and got to see old friends. Then rest and a good long balcony chat with Julie.

I'm finally settling into life here. Loving the team from CCU and will be sad to see them go weds, but then thurs my family arrives. :)

Lots going on in my heart, it's hard to put words on but it's good. Letting go of bitterness, hurt and pain. Choosing to forgive- others and myself. Realizing I don't need luxury/comfort/security (the things that were so hard to give up to come here)... I could live with nothing in the village and be fine. God meets all my needs and I have nothing to worry about.















No comments:

Post a Comment