Thursday, May 30, 2013

Birthday in Rwanda

May 26

I spent my birthday in Musanze, Rwanda. It's a sweet mountain town in the middle of a bunch of beautiful volcanic mountains near where Jane Goodall did her work with Gorilla's. My heart just feels at home in the mountains and I was happy to be there, but was a little homesick for my mountains and my family and friends. I definitely feel like a foreigner here. Communicating is much harder as most speak a tribal language and French. I guess a few years back the government made English the official language of Rwanda, but they did that with no plan of how to implement it so most still speak French.

I had a sweet birthday. We visited 3 girls that are supported by an organization in Steamboat at their sewing school. Visited an eclectic garden, the gardener even cut down some fresh guava for us. We had a nice dinner at a hotel with Internet, so I got to chat with my family. We have been staying in hostels that are in the $7/ night range, though they are places I would never stay in if I was in America, it's much nicer than most peoples homes here. I'm just thinking of it as luxury camping that actually has running water, a bed and walls outside of my mosquito net.

So thankful for my amazing new friends from CMC. I am growing to love them more and more! It's going to be so sad to see them head back to CO soon.















No comments:

Post a Comment